If you’ve been detained under the Mental Health Act (1983) or need a Care Act (2014) assessment, our Independent Advocates can support you to understand your legal rights. Our advocates work at Charing Cross Hospital, Wormwood Scrubs Prison and in the community in Hammersmith, Fulham, Ealing and Hounslow.
What an Independent Advocate can do for you:
- provide information about your legal rights and support you to use them
- defend and promote your rights for you when you can’t
- accompany you to meetings
- explore options and choices in your care
- support you to speak to your doctors and nurses about your care and treatment decisions
- advocate for you to ensure that you are involved in your Community Care Act Assessment.
What an Independent Advocate won’t do for you:
- give you a personal opinion
- make decisions for you
- make judgements about you.
Who can use our advocacy service?
- you must be aged 18 or over
- you must be under a section of the Mental Health Act (1983) or
- identify as a mental health service user living in Hammersmith, Fulham, Ealing and Hounslow.
Our achievements and your feedback:
Last year our Advocates supported 720 people within the inpatient wards.
Very helpful and considerate staff.
I understood my rights as a result of using the service.
I met professional people who knew how to solve my problems.
To access this service you can:
- refer yourself by
email [email protected] , or
02073861187/8 for inpatient advocacy
02037453675 for community and prison based advocacy
- ask your health professional or social worker to refer you via this form
Who we work with:
- Action on Disability
- The West London Mental Health Trust
- Hammersmith, Fulham, Ealing and Hounslow Clinical Commissioning Group
100km walk to Santiago de Compostela (1)
Event Date: 12/03/2019
We are both familiar with the pioneering work done by Hammersmith, Fulham, Ealing and Hounslow MIND for schoolchildren's wellbeing, particularly their internet safety and out target is to raise one thousand pounds so more schools can benefit.